Monday, July 30, 2012

Women's Gymnastics Olympic Team Finals

The competition will start tomorrow at 11:30 AM EDT. I might not watch this finals. The men's finals really shook me up. It was really emotional. I'm not really sure how I feel right now. Sometimes I wish I just didn't care about favourites. The final outcome got some nasty responses from some angry/racist/immature people. But at the same time there were a lot of positive support, so I guess I'll try to forget what happened in the men's final.

OK time to focus on the ladies. I recently did a poll on, "Which team do you think will win the women's gymnastics team finals at the Olympics" and there were 132 votes. As you can see USA is in first with 71 votes. I am rooting for Russia but at the end of the day if Russia can't hit and have clean execution I would be very happy if USA won. I love artistry and I hope Russia can have a clean competition. I don't want to see another weird upset/controversy. I wish it was like 2008 when I barely knew anything or had no favourites/expectations. I would love for a nice surprise though. Something inspirational, like what if Romania ended up winning? That would be pretty awesome.
Edit 1: I have decided I will watch this competition live. If anyone is interested they can watch it on CTV, Canadian online stream (it might work for international users): CTV Link I'll be watching BBC The competition will start in about 10mins.

Edit 2: Bummer. Russia finished second after two crazy floor routines from Grishina and Afanasyeva. Mustafina really fought for her floor routine and did really well. After Grishina's disastrous routine the whole team was already in tears. Afan goes up last and hits everything but in her last tumble she couldn't hold it together. IMO she rushed it, second guessed herself and then ran out of steam. She landed the double pike but fell badly. Lots of tears and disappointments for Russia at that point.

USA did an AMAZING job. They were super consistent. Congratulations to them. They won in a comfortable lead. Good stuff.

 
Full Results Here: CLICK HERE

No comments:

Post a Comment